Smart Phone Apps For The Traveling Diva!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Greetings Divas! First, I would like to apologize to you all for being incognito, but the Pro Diva has been busy! In addition to working my daily 9 to 5, I've been putting a few things in place for a bigger, better, more fabulous Martini Chronicles...I can't wait for you all to see what's on the horizon!

I've also been doing quite a bit of traveling as of late, which is an exhausting task in itself. It just so happens that I came across this ARTICLE while I was on one of my recent journeys. The article discusses 5 Money-Smart Apps for Business Travelers. Being the inquisitive Diva that I am, I checked them all out just in time to give you all my opinion...okay you didn't ask for my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway!

The App - Foursquare
The Skinny - Allows you to "check-in" to various locations around the globe. In doing so, you may stumble upon a few deals offered by merchants who have teamed up with the FourSquare folks.
The Verdict - FourSquare is my personal fave on this list. I use it everyday, and I have personally benefited from the various deals that some merchants have offered just for checking in. This is also a great app when you want to discover what establishments are in your surrounding area. Pretty useful when you are in a strange city. The most important thing about FourSquare...it's incredibly fun, and it feels great to get new badges! FourSquare.com

The App - HelloWallet
The Skinny - Similar to Mint's personal finance manager, but the basic version with cost you about $9 per month. Allows to track your finances and create budgets.
The Verdict - It seems pretty cool, but I refused to pay the subscription fee to give you all an in depth review. For more info, check out HelloWallet.com.

The App - TurboScan
The Skinny - It allows you to use your camera phone to scan documents, receipts, notes, whiteboards, and other text. You can then store and/or email the item as multi-page PDFs or JPEG files. Price: $1.99
The Verdict - Great app if you find yourself stuck in the airport with work to do. It's like a scanner in your pocket! TurboScan is only available for iPhones, but there are many similar alternatives on the Android market.

The App - Cardmunch
The Skinny - Similar to TurboScan, but made especially for business cards. It allows you to take a picture of business cards you acquire while attending professional events, and send it to a service that transcribes the information on the card.It then files the information in any contact management program.
The Verdict - Why didn't I think of this! Sure it may seem lazy to not want to import your own contacts, but who cares? Not me! It seems like a great idea to keep yourself organized, and it helps you to remember to enter your contacts. Great app, but it's only available for iPhones...Boooooooooo! Never fret Android users...there's a similar app for you. Try BizcardArmy.

The App - Kayak
The Skinny - Searches for cheap flights, hotels, and rental cars (the Travel Trifecta), and compares different rates. Also provides airline and airport information, and a currency exchange calculator.
The Verdict - Kind of awesome! Perfect for the business traveler looking for inexpensive traveling rates, some of which may have to be done while running between terminals in a pair of high heels. Its great for impromptu or unexpected travel. And it's free! For more info, check out kayak.com

Your turn! What are some of your favorite traveling apps? Share!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share My Post!